Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Biopsy results not sitting well

The resident doctor called today to give me my pathology results thus far, though she is still looking at the slides??!!  She was very surprised with the results as she said it looked like nothing from the beginning, "totally benign,"she said bluntly during surgery (training on me). "Hmmm, I'm not surprised at all that it's a form of skin cancer as I know my own body," I thought to myself.

She said it's squamous cell cancer. Said it's great I saw it and caught it early and that they removed the entire lesion. The diagnosis feels off to me. I will explain:

From the first visit to just look at the mole till now, they have all been off in their thinking that it's nothing and called it something else at first, then the first doc actually used a dermascope (the one who scheduled surgery after looking at it through the dermascope) and changed his thought on what it was and said it was then a nevus. So, now why aren't they listening to me, seriously?

It IS a nevus mole. Its been there for as long as I can remember and was brown , roundish and had a pale skin colored middle. I have compared it to hundreds and hundreds of photos online too. There was no texture, it was smooth and pigment of my skin. I wish I had a photo of my mole originally years ago, before it grew and changed, to show them. Thats another reason I think its possible amelanotic due to the fact that the middle of my original mole had no pigment and if the melanoma cancer started there it might have followed same path of no dark pigmented cells as it grew? Not sure if this last sentence is possible but thought I would add that in here.
 I truly believe this could be a rarer melanoma called amelanotic. I cant help but in my gut to make sure they check into it, do the tests for it using special protein stains on the slides. It wouldnt hurt and I will feel better if they rule that out. It does not resemble Squamous Cell Carcinoma, and its EXTREMELY rare for squamous cell cancer to start from a nevus. It just doesn't really fit the diagnosis.

I am not a confrontational person by nature, pretty much a pushover but I just cant let this go. Its a fact that amelanotic melanomas have been misdiagnosed by some of the best pathologists as Squamous cell cancer and I dont want to chance my life unless they are positive by doing an actual test for amelanotic cells.

I may be a bit overboard on googling stuff but it is a real possibility that just shouldn't be overlooked. Not something as serious as this....It could be a matter of life and death here. Ok, I am getting a bit emotional now, but all I want is to be sure so I know I will be getting the proper treatment I need for it. Any skin cancer is just not good, if it had to be one or the other I would choose squamous cell of course over melanoma.

to be continued soon.....

Here are some more pics of it over the past several weeks as a changed mole....




No comments:

Post a Comment