Wednesday, November 7, 2012

This ugly "nevus" will be saying bye, bye soon...

Well, Election day was the day of my dermatologist appointment. I voted.. didn't vote for surgery, but I'm going under the knife anyhow (in a couple of weeks).

Actually, it's a good thing...as this prob should be removed and biopsied like the doctor said. The dermatologist at first thought it could be a seborrheic keratosis but then when he looked using the dermascope, he didn't like the edges of the Nevus, he now decided to call it, and the coloring of the middle raised area had his concern... He then said he wanted to schedule surgery and have the entire mole along with a margin of skin around it removed by an excision and a biopsy will be done to see if it's benign. Scary stuff. If it turns out to be more, not benign, then additional surgery will be needed but he said we will wait until the  pathology reports come back to discuss that, if needed.

Now the hard part - getting a week off from work following the surgery. It will be right after turkey day, so it might not go over well but what can I do? I have plenty of sick leave, just never asked for a week of sick time before. With the incision being in the area its in, the inner thigh where the leg connects to the body, it will be a sensitive surgery that will be very sore afterwards and has higher chance of infection. Also, lifting and crouching on my job can cause stitches to tear.... doctor's orders are to take a week off from work after the surgery and to take it easy around the house. He was funny and said it will be a good time to relax and write out Christmas cards, organize my sock drawer, lol... nothing strenuous.

This could turn out to be all ok (prayin), but just being this close to a cancer scare has made me think about a lot.... I really feel for all who are fighting Melanoma and other cancers. The blogs and tributes I have read are heartbreaking, as well as inspiring to never give up. Life is too short.
 I connected with a woman recently after reading her blog... I asked her advice, via email, and her sincere from the heart reply was incredibly touching. I got watery-eyed to know someone who doesn't know me at all, reached out like that. There are really wonderful, caring people in this world!

will be posting again soon...take care all,
Patty

This is how the mole looked a day before my derm appt....it was in its flatter stage after doing the crust over again. Starting to grow again now.

No comments:

Post a Comment